Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Hurricane Season 2020
blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog EmptySat Aug 22, 2020 9:09 am by BillsfaninSoFla

» summer 2019 hurricane season
blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog EmptySun Sep 01, 2019 9:56 am by StAugustineFL

» April-May Florida weather and local events etc
blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog EmptyFri Aug 30, 2019 11:56 am by StPeteFLwx

» NASCAR 2019
blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog EmptyWed May 22, 2019 4:37 pm by StAugustineFL

» Late January through February outlook
blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 3:43 pm by LargoFL

» FLORIDA/ALABAMA AND THE HOLIDAY SEASON WEATHER
blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 12:10 pm by LargoFL

» NASCAR 2018
blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog EmptyWed Dec 05, 2018 6:34 pm by StAugustineFL

» CLOSED Florida/Alabama Blog - October Tropical Mischief
blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog EmptyTue Nov 13, 2018 2:18 pm by LargoFL

Florida Blog
Southeast Radar Loop
Kamala Severe Warnings
Photobucket
Warnings
WPC 5 Day Precip
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

blog  chat  florida  

CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog

+2
sangria
StAugustineFL
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog Empty CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog

Post by StAugustineFL Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:53 am

The calendar has flipped to April and for those of us living in the southeast we can look forward to (or despise) months of seemingly endless warmth.  The days of open window weather are soon to be behind replaced by the near continuous humming of the AC.

Here are some dynamic maps which will auto-update to remain current.  I post static images when possible in the comments to capture what is going on at a given point in time.

blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog Wv-animated

blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog P168i

SPC Day 1

I've always found this an interesting site to view historical temperature and precipitation averages across select cities in Florida.

Florida Climate Center

Happy April!

Last edited by StAugustineFL on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
StAugustineFL
StAugustineFL

Back to top Go down

blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog Empty Re: CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog

Post by sangria Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:07 am

Based on the Florida Climate Center's numbers, I am running a precip deficit of 3.81" for YTD - I could only use Tampa for comparison.  fiddle
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog Empty Re: CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog

Post by StAugustineFL Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:09 am

Yeah, I'm at a 6" deficit here myself.

SPC Day 3.

blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog 9cmF33D
StAugustineFL
StAugustineFL

Back to top Go down

Post by gomexwx Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks Aug...being april fools,I figured you would be blogging about that satellite and radar avoiding AGW induced CAT5 Hurricane that will slam NOLA with 200mph winds and a 70 ft tidal surge due to extra water from melting icebergs . I understand FEMA is there to pick up the misplaced polar bears clinging on the building tops feasting on dead seagulls....
gomexwx
gomexwx

Back to top Go down

Post by StAugustineFL Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:22 am

LOL, I'll leave that to the folks in other venues.
StAugustineFL
StAugustineFL

Back to top Go down

Post by JRnOldsmar Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:13 am

Good morning everyone.Except for the lack of rain, March has been good to me here. This has been the longest stretch that I can remember, where the house has been completely open. I've been here over 20 years and the first 'garden design' features I put in were trellises of confederate jasmine on the east and west ends of the house, and gardenia bushes outside the front windows. It really hasn't been often that they've both bloomed early enough to really take advantage of. March has been much different. Smile

Keep alert up there Gomey! (as I'm sure you will)
JRnOldsmar
JRnOldsmar

Back to top Go down

Post by StAugustineFL Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:38 am

It's been fairly similar up here as well JR. Had a few nights I had to run the heat and a few days running the AC but otherwise open the slider, let the pleasant air filter in, and save on the FPL bill.

The freezes from a couple weeks ago browned many lawns (mine included). Just starting to green up again. The bradford pears and crepe myrtles have been slow to leaf out this year as well. Usually they're fairly green by now but still look lifeless. My fuschia crepe has begun to leaf out. Still waiting on the lavender and white.
StAugustineFL
StAugustineFL

Back to top Go down

Post by sangria Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:00 pm

When your head starts tingling and the sweat is just a pouring off of you, you know it's time to come in and kick the AC on!

To hell with the mess out in the yard, I'll clean up all the bags and tools in a little bit,,,,
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRnOldsmar Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:16 pm

All of the crepe myrtles are out here, but they do follow an order every year:  darkest to lightest; smalest to largest:  red, pink, lavender, white.  My plumeria are coming out a little differently; most branches are starting with a bloom before leaves.  That should look nice.  Azaleas and camellias are pretty much done.  Grape vines seem to be starting a little late this year; they're just now coming out.  Bougainvillea are in bloom along with the desert roses; and I know the African iris' are just waiting for a good soaking.  I almost always have some kinda flower goin on, any time of year.  Some of the ginger is blooming too.  Got a butterfly section too.  Just tryin to do my part....

Edited in a missed word..

Last edited by JRnOldsmar on Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
JRnOldsmar
JRnOldsmar

Back to top Go down

Post by JRnOldsmar Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:18 pm

sangria wrote:When your head starts tingling and the sweat is just a pouring off of you, you know it's time to come in and kick the AC on!

To hell with the mess out in the yard, I'll clean up all the bags and tools in a little bit,,,,

My dermatologist convinced me to not do that stuff in the middle part of the day. I try, but I like my sun too.

Thank goodness the pool is warm enough already.
JRnOldsmar
JRnOldsmar

Back to top Go down

Post by sangria Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:03 pm

JRnOldsmar wrote:

My dermatologist convinced me to not do that stuff in the middle part of the day.  I try, but I like my sun too.

I would bet you are making good use of your pool today!

I was late getting out there this morning, and my yard needs some serious attention.  I'll get out there early tomorrow morning and try to stop by Noon.  

That will give me some time before I watch my team open a can of whoop ass on the other folks in the Nascar fantasy league!
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sangria Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:12 pm

JRnOldsmar wrote:All of the crepe myrtles are out here, but they do follow an order every year:  darkest to lightest; smalest to largest:  red, pink, lavender, white.  My plumeria are coming out a little differently; most branches are starting with a bloom before leaves.  That should look nice.  Azaleas and camellias are pretty much done.  Grape vines seem to be starting a little late this year; they're just now coming out.  Bougainvillea are in bloom along with the desert roses; and I know the African iris' are just waiting for a good soaking.  I almost always have some kinda flower goin on, any time of year.  Some of the ginger is blooming too.  Got a butterfly section too.  Just tryin to do my part....

Edited in a missed word..

Hey JR,

My Plumeria are starting to get a few leaves, however, one of the large ones looks like it is going to bloom before getting any leaves.  My Desert Roses are blooming and budding out in an amazing way.  I left them outside but put them up in the courtyard area that is protected on three sides - They didn't have an issue with the cold weather at all.  I may go out there and take a pic of one of them.

Bougainvillea??   I should have taken a pic before I cut that puppy back today.  It was huge and beautiful, as it was covered in blooms.  I took pretty much all of the blooms off, as I took up to 8 feet off of some of the limbs.  My Cape Honeysuckle is loaded with blooms also... I put that in last year and have yet to see a hummingbird, which they are supposed to be attracted to.

Last edited by sangria on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sangria Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:13 pm

blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog AapluoD
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by StAugustineFL Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:22 pm

sangria wrote:
JRnOldsmar wrote:

My dermatologist convinced me to not do that stuff in the middle part of the day.  I try, but I like my sun too.

I was late getting out there this morning, and my yard needs some serious attention.  I'll get out there early tomorrow morning and try to stop by Noon.  

That will give me some time before I watch my team open a can of whoop ass on the other folks in the Nascar fantasy league!

That's been my MO for years.    e slap

Last edited by StAugustineFL on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
StAugustineFL
StAugustineFL

Back to top Go down

Post by sangria Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Fixed it for ya!!
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by StAugustineFL Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:28 pm

sangria wrote:Fixed it for ya!!

nono
StAugustineFL
StAugustineFL

Back to top Go down

Post by sangria Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:29 pm

lmao lmao lmao
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRnOldsmar Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:33 pm

sangria wrote:
JRnOldsmar wrote:

I do make good use of my pool, San. It's basically an every day thing with me. Excercise, cool rinses, plus after years of searching and trying, I found the best tall-man float that the Lord ever made. Smile

Nascar for me is usually a nap on the couch. But that's true for most daytime sports now-a-days. Catch the start, snooze the middle, catch the end.
JRnOldsmar
JRnOldsmar

Back to top Go down

Post by StAugustineFL Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:35 pm

San, FYI - several of your posts have mucho empty space.

Last edited by StAugustineFL on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
StAugustineFL
StAugustineFL

Back to top Go down

Post by JRnOldsmar Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:35 pm

sangria wrote:lmao lmao lmao

Got distracted. Guess I missed it.
JRnOldsmar
JRnOldsmar

Back to top Go down

Post by sangria Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:39 pm

Not the best pic, but here is the one with the most blooms on it... I have Red and Pink. Last year I planted a bunch of seeds but I neglected them over the winter so I'm going to plant another batch.

That garbage can leaning against the wall has the smaller limbs from the Bougainvillea. It's hard to tell, but it is directly behind the Desert Rose - I keep it more of a bonsai shape. And yeah, the mulch is all over the sidewalk right now - I dug up weeds and didn't clean up the area. :-)

Oh and Aug, I pulled my Angel Trumpet out of that pot you see that is empty. I'm giving up on trying to keep one of those alive!

blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog EJ98nIQ
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRnOldsmar Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:45 pm

Hey San. Hummingbirds seem to be hard to come by. The very few times I've seen them here, is usually with the firecracker bush.
JRnOldsmar
JRnOldsmar

Back to top Go down

Post by sangria Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:52 pm

I like the firecracker bush, I might think about picking up a couple of them. Thanks for the tip JR.
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRnOldsmar Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:02 pm

Gonna try that pic thing.  Tried from my tablet, but couldn't get it to work.

Here's my Desert Rose.  Red and Pink as well.  I had a white one in the same pot, but it got wet-foot.  It's actually kinda sickly, so am surprised at the blooms.  They're smaller, but numerous.  The backdrop is African Iris.  Blue directly (dang this blossom is beautifully intricate), then white to either side.

blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog Img_2010
JRnOldsmar
JRnOldsmar

Back to top Go down

Post by JRnOldsmar Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:09 pm

Here is the blue African Iris from a previous year.  Each blossom basically lasts 1 day.  A good rain sets it off for a week or so.

blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog _faceb10
JRnOldsmar
JRnOldsmar

Back to top Go down

Post by sangria Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:12 pm

That is beautiful, my mother would like that.
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sangria Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:13 pm

JRnOldsmar wrote:Gonna try that pic thing.  Tried from my tablet, but couldn't get it to work.

Here's my Desert Rose.  Red and Pink as well.  I had a white one in the same pot, but it got wet-foot.  It's actually kinda sickly, so am surprised at the blooms.  They're smaller, but numerous.  The backdrop is African Iris.  Blue directly (dang this blossom is beautifully intricate), then white to either side.

blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog Img_2010

Oooh..... yours are loaded with blooms! I have a couple of Arabicums but only one has blooms right now, and not many.
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sangria Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Hey, is that a shallow pot with drainage holes? I like the shape of it.
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRnOldsmar Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:24 pm

sangria wrote:Hey, is that a shallow pot with drainage holes?  I like the shape of it.

Large pot, bottom removed, and sunken a bit. 6 of these contain my cactus garden (which is dying overall -- to be replace one day), which semi-circles my fire-pit.
JRnOldsmar
JRnOldsmar

Back to top Go down

Post by sangria Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:35 pm

JRnOldsmar wrote:

Large pot, bottom removed, and sunken a bit.  6 of these contain my cactus garden (which is dying overall -- to be replace one day), which semi-circles my fire-pit.

I like that idea, but how the heck did you remove the bottom?
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRnOldsmar Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:44 pm

sangria wrote:
JRnOldsmar wrote:

Large pot, bottom removed, and sunken a bit.  6 of these contain my cactus garden (which is dying overall -- to be replace one day), which semi-circles my fire-pit.

I like that idea, but how the heck did you remove the bottom?

A drimmel to score, light taps with a ball pein hammer. Its not perfect, and one became a 'decorative artifact'. Wink
JRnOldsmar
JRnOldsmar

Back to top Go down

Post by sangria Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:50 pm

one became a 'decorative artifact'

lmao
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JRnOldsmar Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:10 pm

sangria wrote:one became a 'decorative artifact'

lmao

My decorative artifacts drive my wife crazy. Especially the broken pots ('partially sunken'), old rusted anchor chain, and a few other items. Smile I've had Peter the Rock, guarding my front door, since my very first apartment. I've never been broken into! Wink Its just character; that's all.
JRnOldsmar
JRnOldsmar

Back to top Go down

Post by gomexwx Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:11 pm

nice pictures....my flowerbeds need work. Mostly bulbs now. The Amarilos just finished the gladiola's will be next
gomexwx
gomexwx

Back to top Go down

Post by JRnOldsmar Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:38 pm

gomexwx wrote:nice pictures....my flowerbeds need work. Mostly bulbs now. The Amarilos just finished the gladiola's will be next

Tons of work due here too, Gomey. Its just not been the priority for the last couple of years. I'm only getting to what must be done, instead of what should be done. Not a chance at what I would like to accomplish. The only bulbs I've got right now are caladiums. A nice burst of color in a couple of months.
JRnOldsmar
JRnOldsmar

Back to top Go down

Post by sangria Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:24 am

Good Morning all!

Can anyone say sea breeze?  #tollroad

blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog UYRw4UF
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by StAugustineFL Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:31 am

Morning. Nice pics san and JR.

I have a pair of hummingbirds foraging around my bottlebrush every year. I had a hummingbird casualty last year. Walked out back on the lanai and one had its' beak stuck through one of my screen panels. He/she had already passed on.
StAugustineFL
StAugustineFL

Back to top Go down

Post by StAugustineFL Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:32 am

If nothing else san maybe you'll get to see some towering cumulonimbus off to your SE. Just a few more weeks before we transition into rainy season. Smile
StAugustineFL
StAugustineFL

Back to top Go down

Post by StAugustineFL Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:40 am

Back to the flowers for a moment, not much going on here yet. My bottlebrush are blooming (I need to cut them back big time but not with the flowers and all the bees), red pinta is beginning to flower, hibiscus is doing ok. My hibiscus is a single plant but has two different types of flowers. Mexican petunia's are starting to come along. Still waiting on my carolina jasmine (it's looking sickly), butterfly ginger, oleanders, honeysuckle, and crepe myrtles. The crepes will be in full swing May/June and the butterfly ginger not until summer.
StAugustineFL
StAugustineFL

Back to top Go down

Post by StAugustineFL Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:31 am

Thought I'd share this page from Pcroton (formerly of WU).  Lot's of links and info.  I really haven't delved into everything but do like the GIS link up top.  Then scroll down to NWS WFO GIS Maps then select your office of interest.  Just highlights temps, precip, heat index, etc... for 1-3 day periods.

StormHamster

Here's a sample map from Tampa showing rainfall for the month of March.

blog - CLOSED April - Florida/Alabama Blog U73D4jl
StAugustineFL
StAugustineFL

Back to top Go down

Post by gomexwx Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:16 am

wonder where PC will go?
gomexwx
gomexwx

Back to top Go down

Post by StAugustineFL Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:20 am

gomexwx wrote:wonder where PC will go?

Morning gomey, doing a last drive-by before I get outdoors for a bit.  He cut the cord quite some time ago and is on Twitter as @crankywxguy
StAugustineFL
StAugustineFL

Back to top Go down

Post by gomexwx Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:22 am

that fits!
gomexwx
gomexwx

Back to top Go down

Post by StAugustineFL Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:24 am

LOL, to a tee!
StAugustineFL
StAugustineFL

Back to top Go down

Post by gomexwx Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:27 am

gomexwx
gomexwx

Back to top Go down

Post by JRnOldsmar Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:50 am

Very sad about the hummingbird. Butterflies are on the move now. Found 3 down just this week.

And oh yes; it was always about the data.
JRnOldsmar
JRnOldsmar

Back to top Go down

Post by JRnOldsmar Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:54 am

Dr Masters Blog

I think this is worth a read, if only for the last paragraph...
JRnOldsmar
JRnOldsmar

Back to top Go down

Post by BillsfaninSoFla Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi Everyone. Love all the flower pics! We just planted some
dwarf red ixoras, it will take awhile for them to grow, but they will be pretty no doubt. And the Mandevillas are starting to bloom. They are so pretty!

Have a good day all.
Weekends go way too fast!

BillsfaninSoFla

Back to top Go down

Post by sangria Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:21 pm

JRnOldsmar wrote:Dr Masters Blog

I think this is worth a read, if only for the last paragraph...

Thanks for posting that JR!

Edited to remove my stupid comment!

Okay,I got snookered for not paying much attention!!!

Thanks Gomey for showing me my way!!!

Last edited by sangria on Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LargoFL Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:00 pm

stay safe and alert tomorrow folks ...real nasty storm system coming...............................................
...Southeast...
At least the remnants of a substantial mesoscale convective system
probably will be in the process of advancing east of the lower
Mississippi Valley at the beginning of the period. And guidance
appears increasingly suggestive that a preceding corridor of
appreciable boundary layer moistening and destabilization will keep
pace with it, contributing to the potential maintenance or
re-invigoration of activity through the day Monday. In the presence
of ambient wind profiles characterized by strong deep layer shear
and large-clockwise curved low-level hodographs (near a 50+ kt
southerly 850 mb jet), the environment appears more than favorable
for an organized damaging wind threat, along with a few tornadoes.

Discrete supercell development appears possible ahead of the
convective system, particularly later in the day across the piedmont
of Alabama into Georgia, on the southern fringe of the stronger
forcing associated with the mid/upper trough. This activity may
persist and possibly grow upscale into another evolving convective
system, spreading into the Carolina piedmont late Monday afternoon
and evening. Severe wind gusts/hail and tornadoes all appear
possible with this activity.

LargoFL
LargoFL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next