Latest topics
Florida Blog
Southeast Radar Loop
Kamala Severe Warnings
Photobucket
Warnings
WPC 5 Day Precip
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords


CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:12 am

Good Sunday morning folks..just after 5am and outside its like walking into a freezer..39 degree's right now and seems to always get colder as dawn approaches huh..stay warm out there.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:41 am

well mid 30's for most of the area..just walked the dogs and there's frost on my roof etc..and its cold..lol..im moving to Florida for sure..heh heh

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by BillsfaninSoFla on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:07 am

Good morning. Significantly cooler today, but nice and sunny 56 degrees.

BillsfaninSoFla

Posts : 1521
Reputation : 51
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:21 pm

BillsfaninSoFla wrote:Good morning.  Significantly cooler today, but nice and sunny 56 degrees.
Hi Billsfan,warming up some here..around 52 degree's and real breezy.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:24 pm

RGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Jacksonville FL
111 PM EST Sun Jan 14 2018

FLZ037-040-151400-
/O.NEW.KJAX.FR.Y.0001.180115T0800Z-180115T1400Z/
Putnam-Marion-
Including the cities of Bostwick, Carraway, Palatka, Anthony,
Burbank, Ocala, Ocala Airport, and Weirsdale
111 PM EST Sun Jan 14 2018

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 9 AM EST MONDAY...

The National Weather Service in Jacksonville has issued a Frost
Advisory, which is in effect from 3 AM to 9 AM EST Monday.

* TEMPERATURE...Low temperatures near 32 to 34 degrees west of
Highway 17 to 34 to 37 degrees toward the St. Johns River and
Ocala National Forest.

* IMPACTS...Frost expected. Protect plants that could be damaged
by frost.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Frost Advisory means that frost is possible. Sensitive outdoor
plants may be killed if left uncovered.

&&

$$

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:25 pm

well lets see how far down the state that freezing cold gets..it was 35-36 by me..wont take much to knock it down to 30 huh tonight..what I'm watching for is the stronger cold front thus/Friday.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by StAugustineFL on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi all. I made it back to Florida today. Had some interesting weather on the trip to Iowa and back. Had a late start leaving last Sunday and only made it to Dalton, GA. Plan was to leave at 5AM on Monday and get to Iowa 4-5pm. Plans were foiled by freezing rain in north Georgia and southern TN Monday morning which delayed my departure til noon. Car was coated with a thin layer of freezing rain with 31 degree temps. There was a 35 car pile-up causing 15 injuries on I-75 northbound 5 miles to my north which shut the interstate down for 4 hours. We took a detour to the TN border when I was able to finally leave but only made it to Mt Vernon, IL by dark (I don't drive much after dark). The trip from Dalton to Mt Vernon was at best cloudy and at worst rain with dense fog and 1/4 mile visibility.

Weather in Iowa was low 30's on arrival mid-day Tuesday. Warm front moved through pushing temps to the mid 50's on Wednesday with sunshine for my dads funeral service (thank you dad!) Thursday morning started at 50 with rain then an arctic front pushed through transitioning precip to freezing rain followed by a period of light snow which only amounted to a dusting (but I saw snow!). 7 degrees Friday morning, 18 Friday, 5 Saturday morning.

Left at 6:30 Saturday morning. Got to one county in Kentucky between mile marker 30 - 68 or thereabouts and the roads were a cluster. No snow removal! One lane of interstate open on I-24. Saw a jack-knifed semi on the interstate, another semi flipped over, 2 cars overturned in the median, and 4-5 more slipped off into the median. All this within a 35 mile stretch! Once to mile marker 68 the roads were clear as can be from there on out.
avatar
StAugustineFL

Posts : 1777
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2012-07-17

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:19 am

StAugustineFL wrote:Hi all.  I made it back to Florida today.  Had some interesting weather on the trip to Iowa and back.  Had a late start leaving last Sunday and only made it to Dalton, GA.  Plan was to leave at 5AM on Monday and get to Iowa 4-5pm.  Plans were foiled by freezing rain in north Georgia and southern TN Monday morning which delayed my departure til noon.  Car was coated with a thin layer of freezing rain with 31 degree temps.  There was a 35 car pile-up causing 15 injuries on I-75 northbound 5 miles to my north which shut the interstate down for 4 hours.  We took a detour to the TN border when I was able to finally leave but only made it to Mt Vernon, IL by dark (I don't drive much after dark).  The trip from Dalton to Mt Vernon was at best cloudy and at worst rain with dense fog and 1/4 mile visibility.  

Weather in Iowa was low 30's on arrival mid-day Tuesday.  Warm front moved through pushing temps to the mid 50's on Wednesday with sunshine for my dads funeral service (thank you dad!)  Thursday morning started at 50 with rain then an arctic front pushed through transitioning precip to freezing rain followed by a period of light snow which only amounted to a dusting (but I saw snow!).  7 degrees Friday morning, 18 Friday, 5 Saturday morning.

Left at 6:30 Saturday morning.  Got to one county in Kentucky between mile marker 30 - 68 or thereabouts and the roads were a cluster.  No snow removal!  One lane of interstate open on I-24.   Saw a jack-knifed semi on the interstate, another semi flipped over, 2 cars overturned in the median, and 4-5 more slipped off into the median.  All this within a 35 mile stretch!  Once to mile marker 68 the roads were clear as can be from there on out.
Hi Aug, welcome back, wow that must have been some trip,alot of accidents huh,it was a bad storm up there...glad you made it back safe.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:20 am

Good Monday morning folks..not as freezing cold and this time yesterday..low 40's here by me right now..supposed to be in the mid 60's later today...well have a great day everyone!

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:41 am

amazing story on NBC News today........here is the headline I copied..........................Dogs can't speak human. Here's the tech that could change that.
A pet translator could be available in less than a decade..........................can you imagine..what this would mean,geez I probably wont be around to see this happen, but you younger folks might be..oh man what a winderous thing THIS would be huh.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by StAugustineFL on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:52 am

Morning Largo and everyone else as they join in.

That'd be cool. I often wonder what is running through the head of my little furry friend.
avatar
StAugustineFL

Posts : 1777
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2012-07-17

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by StAugustineFL on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:05 am

Currently a cool 38 here. Feels warm after having been through single digit temps with wind chills of -15 to -20 for a couple of days.
avatar
StAugustineFL

Posts : 1777
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2012-07-17

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by severstorm on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:11 am

LargoFL wrote:
StAugustineFL wrote:Hi all.  I made it back to Florida today.  Had some interesting weather on the trip to Iowa and back.  Had a late start leaving last Sunday and only made it to Dalton, GA.  Plan was to leave at 5AM on Monday and get to Iowa 4-5pm.  Plans were foiled by freezing rain in north Georgia and southern TN Monday morning which delayed my departure til noon.  Car was coated with a thin layer of freezing rain with 31 degree temps.  There was a 35 car pile-up causing 15 injuries on I-75 northbound 5 miles to my north which shut the interstate down for 4 hours.  We took a detour to the TN border when I was able to finally leave but only made it to Mt Vernon, IL by dark (I don't drive much after dark).  The trip from Dalton to Mt Vernon was at best cloudy and at worst rain with dense fog and 1/4 mile visibility.  

Weather in Iowa was low 30's on arrival mid-day Tuesday.  Warm front moved through pushing temps to the mid 50's on Wednesday with sunshine for my dads funeral service (thank you dad!)  Thursday morning started at 50 with rain then an arctic front pushed through transitioning precip to freezing rain followed by a period of light snow which only amounted to a dusting (but I saw snow!).  7 degrees Friday morning, 18 Friday, 5 Saturday morning.

Left at 6:30 Saturday morning.  Got to one county in Kentucky between mile marker 30 - 68 or thereabouts and the roads were a cluster.  No snow removal!  One lane of interstate open on I-24.   Saw a jack-knifed semi on the interstate, another semi flipped over, 2 cars overturned in the median, and 4-5 more slipped off into the median.  All this within a 35 mile stretch!  Once to mile marker 68 the roads were clear as can be from there on out.
Hi Aug, welcome back, wow that must have been some trip,alot of accidents huh,it was a bad storm up there...glad you made it back safe.

Glad you made it back ok. Almost makes you want to fly but then again

severstorm

Posts : 254
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2017-03-14
Age : 55
Location : Zephyrhills

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by severstorm on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:14 am

Morning All,
Not really any news out of Z-hills.
Had 42 this morning. Didn't get as cold as they said it would wind stay up all night. Lets see what happens Thursday morning.
Have a great day!!
John

severstorm

Posts : 254
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2017-03-14
Age : 55
Location : Zephyrhills

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:42 am

severstorm wrote:Morning All,
Not really any news out of Z-hills.
Had 42 this morning. Didn't get as cold as they said it would wind stay up all night. Lets see what happens Thursday morning.
Have a great day!!
John
good morning John,yes stayed low 40's here too

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:44 am

NWS Tampa...on Jan 15 2018

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

.COASTAL FLOOD IMPACT...
A Beach Hazard statement is in effect through 7 PM due to the
likelihood of strong currents and choppy surf in the surf zone at
Atlantic beaches.

.WIND AND SEA IMPACT...
Winds and seas will remain hazardous over the local Atlantic
waters through tonight. A fresh north to northeast breeze of 20
to 25 knots Will produce seas of 6 to 8 feet nearshore and up to
10 feet well offshore and in the Gulf Stream. Seas will be
especially choppy in the Gulf Stream due to the opposing wind and
current direction. A Small Craft Advisory remains in effect.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY.
Poor boating conditions and rough surf will continue over the
Atlantic waters through mid week as north to northeast winds
prevail. Rip current threats will remain elevated as well. Near
freezing temperatures are possible for northern most areas of
central Florida early Thursday morning.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...
Spotter activation will not be needed today.

$$

Pendergrast

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:46 am

one thing I'm noticing in the Tampa NWS discussions..seems like they have dropped the really cold freezing temps for the overnight thurs/fri and mornings for tampa bay area...lets see what they say late Wednesday..still some disagreement in the model runs I guess.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:50 am

well 12Z nam model has the 20's-30's temps overnight wens into thurs almost all the way down to oh...Sarasota..still early yet huh..

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:26 pm

well 49 degree's here but the sun is warm and temps should be going up thru the afternoon.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:30 pm

another warning...stay away from bats.......a 6 year old boy died from being scratched by a sick bat from rabies.over in Orlando.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by sangria on Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:21 pm

Did y'all see the news yesterday about the Sun Cruise gambling boat here?  It was close to shore but those people had to freeze their hiney's off in that water.  Also, a 12 foot jump is nothing to sneeze at, especially when you are jumping into shallow water that is loaded with oyster beds.  

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-reg-casino-boat-fire-20180114-story.html
avatar
sangria
Admin

Posts : 2154
Reputation : 55
Join date : 2012-07-16

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:55 am

sangria wrote:Did y'all see the news yesterday about the Sun Cruise gambling boat here?  It was close to shore but those people had to freeze their hiney's off in that water.  Also, a 12 foot jump is nothing to sneeze at, especially when you are jumping into shallow water that is loaded with oyster beds.  

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-reg-casino-boat-fire-20180114-story.html
yes a horrible thing to have happen, I think I read one lady died..geez.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:56 am

Good Tuesday Morning folks!...not as cold here this morning,48 by my area and hardly a breeze..looks like a nice day ahead...have a great day everyone!

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by StAugustineFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:30 am

Morning. 37 here at the moment. The local PWS bottomed out at 31.5 around 3 AM then it's slowly warmed headed towards the mid 60's later in the day. Cool couple of days follow up this way before a nice warm up towards the end of the week.
avatar
StAugustineFL

Posts : 1777
Reputation : 60
Join date : 2012-07-17

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by waterdipper on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:14 am

What a beautiful January in Florida long weekend we had! Had freezes both Sun and Mon mornings with lows in the upper 20's and highs in the low to mid 50's all three days. Had 33 and patchy frost this AM. Looks like today and tonight will be a bit warmer then a hard freeze for Wed and Thurs nights. By next Saturday, the real January thaw begins. Looks to last into February maybe. However, the way this winter has gone so far, I doubt this will be our last freeze.

waterdipper

Posts : 221
Reputation : 17
Join date : 2017-03-15
Location : Somewhere between Cedar Key, Chiefland and Gainesville

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by JRnOldsmar on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:47 am

StAugustineFL wrote:Hi all.  I made it back to Florida today.  Had some interesting weather on the trip to Iowa and back.  Had a late start leaving last Sunday and only made it to Dalton, GA.  Plan was to leave at 5AM on Monday and get to Iowa 4-5pm.  Plans were foiled by freezing rain in north Georgia and southern TN Monday morning which delayed my departure til noon.  Car was coated with a thin layer of freezing rain with 31 degree temps.  There was a 35 car pile-up causing 15 injuries on I-75 northbound 5 miles to my north which shut the interstate down for 4 hours.  We took a detour to the TN border when I was able to finally leave but only made it to Mt Vernon, IL by dark (I don't drive much after dark).  The trip from Dalton to Mt Vernon was at best cloudy and at worst rain with dense fog and 1/4 mile visibility.  

Weather in Iowa was low 30's on arrival mid-day Tuesday.  Warm front moved through pushing temps to the mid 50's on Wednesday with sunshine for my dads funeral service (thank you dad!)  Thursday morning started at 50 with rain then an arctic front pushed through transitioning precip to freezing rain followed by a period of light snow which only amounted to a dusting (but I saw snow!).  7 degrees Friday morning, 18 Friday, 5 Saturday morning.

Left at 6:30 Saturday morning.  Got to one county in Kentucky between mile marker 30 - 68 or thereabouts and the roads were a cluster.  No snow removal!  One lane of interstate open on I-24.   Saw a jack-knifed semi on the interstate, another semi flipped over, 2 cars overturned in the median, and 4-5 more slipped off into the median.  All this within a 35 mile stretch!  Once to mile marker 68 the roads were clear as can be from there on out.

Glad you made it safely, Aug. That's some treacherous driving there. Glad you caught some snow, too. It's the only thing that might make those temps worth it! (Well, maybe the Northern Lights...which I've only seen once.)
avatar
JRnOldsmar

Posts : 621
Reputation : 48
Join date : 2017-03-05
Location : Oldsmar, FL

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by JRnOldsmar on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:51 am

waterdipper wrote:What a beautiful January in Florida long weekend we had! Had freezes both Sun and Mon mornings with lows in the upper 20's and highs in the low to mid 50's all three days. Had 33 and patchy frost this AM. Looks like today and tonight will be a bit warmer then a hard freeze for Wed and Thurs nights. By next Saturday, the real January thaw begins. Looks to last into February maybe. However, the way this winter has gone so far, I doubt this will be our last freeze.

So far, looks like a good winter for us. Still looking for near-freezing tomorrow night. This weekend is looking fabulous once again.
avatar
JRnOldsmar

Posts : 621
Reputation : 48
Join date : 2017-03-05
Location : Oldsmar, FL

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by JRnOldsmar on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:57 am

avatar
JRnOldsmar

Posts : 621
Reputation : 48
Join date : 2017-03-05
Location : Oldsmar, FL

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:13 am

well warming up some here..mid 50's now.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:26 am

san that Lady that died in that ship fire was only 42, a mother of two kids gee..what an awful thing to happen huh.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:30 am

WD this next strong cold front is supposed to get to your area wensday afternoon ..temps might be in the 20's wens night/thurs morning..stay warm up there ok...might get to you a lil earlier some think.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:32 am

gee gas prices went from $2.31 yesterday to $2.49 here...that's a pretty Big increase huh..whats it at by Your area today?

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:34 am

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Jacksonville FL
946 AM EST Tue Jan 16 2018

.UPDATE...
Temperatures today are expected to rise into the low 60s and then
dropping into the 40s overnight. Winds will be predominantly out
of the north and northeast today with high pressure to our north.
A relatively dry frontal passage will bring increased clouds
throughout the region tonight with some light precipitation in
the northwestern areas. A few ice pellets or flurries are possible
mixing in with the rain in the area north and west of Alma
tomorrow morning as the cold air filters in. No matter what
happens with freezing/frozen precipitation it is going to be a raw
and cold morning in that area. No significant accumulations of
ice or snow are expected.

A cold airmass is expected to dominate the entire area tomorrow,
resulting in strong cold air advection and dropping temperatures/dry
conditions through the day. Low temperatures Wednesday night for
most areas are expected to be in the 20s, so hard freeze
conditions are expected especially in areas with critical
vegetation and crops.

&&

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:38 am

12Z Nam model has 20's-30-s temps downstate to about Sarasota area wens night into Thursday.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:39 pm

yeah on mikes weather page he's mentioning the possibility of wens night being the coldest in years..better prepare to cover the plants and outdoor pipes folks..just in case it verifies..guess we here get a real winter this year..luckily I think, moisture will be low so maybe no snow/sleet etc in our northern counties..we'll see how this plays out next few days.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:41 pm

update for gome's area,stay warm up there gome.....................................UPDATE...Surface observations show the strong cold front making
its way across southeast MS and interior portions of southwest AL
this morning. Temperatures are already falling into the mid to
upper 30s behind the front. A zone of large scale ascent and
associated wintry precipitation behind the frontal boundary
extends from southeastern TX through much of LA/MS and into TN.
We have made a few adjustments to the forecast this morning based
on high resolution model guidance and observed upstream trends. We
still expect that the wintry mix of precipitation will arrive in
our far northwestern zones between 1-3 PM, before gradually
advancing to the I-65 corridor by 6-9 PM, then into our eastern
and southeastern counties after 9 PM.

There are some indications, particularly in the WRF-ARW and HRRR
that precipitation may become enhanced along the vicinity of the
I-65 corridor this evening and late tonight over our eastern and
southeastern zones. Forecast soundings are supportive of
precipitation starting in the form of a wintry mix of light
freezing rain and sleet, then transitioning to sleet/snow, and
perhaps all light snow before precipitation ends. We have
increased snow (and sleet) amounts a bit from the previous
forecast, generally between one half and one inch, with isolated
higher totals. Also added light ice accumulations of less than one
tenth inch (few hundredths) over our southern zones. We will need
to monitor precipitation trends, particularly closer to the
coast/southern zones, where forecast soundings/trends indicate
potential of light freezing rain and some sleet accumulation prior
to switch over to light snow, which could quickly cause some
travel problems. The Winter Weather Advisory has been extended
across our coastal zones and now includes our entire area. POPs
have been increased across the region, and updates have been sent.
/21

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:44 pm

lets see if this 7-day for Tallahassee area posts.................................

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:47 pm

and 7-day for Tampabay area............................................................

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:49 pm

ok so it looks like some area's around the state may see hard freeze warnings wens night/thurs morning..listen to your local NWS warnings ok folks.....remember the Black Ice danger on roadways if any rain etc happens...drive safe out there.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:52 pm

one time many years ago up in NY, I hit a patch of black ice,not driving too fast..maybe 30mph, my car went into a 360 degree spin for several minutes it seems like..thank god no one was around me..scared me to death...never want that to ever happen again..no control whatsoever..geez...its why I always warn of any black ice danger...stay alert and safe folks.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by sangria on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Sooo... it looks like I'm not the only one that has been enjoying our winter! I hope it continues on through Feb with multiple cold snaps :-)
avatar
sangria
Admin

Posts : 2154
Reputation : 55
Join date : 2012-07-16

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by sangria on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Hey Largo, I did read about the death of that woman on the boat. How horrible! I haven't seen anything about cause of death, but I did read that she went home and did not go to the hospital, so not sure what happened.
avatar
sangria
Admin

Posts : 2154
Reputation : 55
Join date : 2012-07-16

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:45 pm

sangria wrote:Hey Largo, I did read about the death of that woman on the boat.  How horrible!  I haven't seen anything about cause of death, but I did read that she went home and did not go to the hospital, so not sure what happened.  
yeah its terrible,2 kids now without their mom gee..my mom died when I was 10,so I kinda know what they will be going thru..to this day I still very much miss her...a hard time coming for those kids.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:54 pm


LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:55 pm

so lets see if the warmer waters surrounding Pinellas county keeps us from a hard freeze..bundle up anyway JR huh

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:59 pm

ok last one...Updated ...NWS Miami......................
This hazardous weather outlook is for South Florida.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

Rip currents: There is a high risk of rip currents on Atlantic
beaches.

Temperatures: Wind chill values may fall into the upper 40s
Wednesday morning over inland Southwest Florida west of Lake
Okeechobee.

Waves: Seas around 7 feet are forecast for the Atlantic. This will
create hazardous marine conditions. A Small Craft Advisory is in
effect.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY

There is a moderate risk of rip currents on Atlantic beaches
Wednesday. An elevated risk of rip currents may persist through the
week.

Temperatures are forecast to dip into the mid to upper 30s in the
Western lake region once again Wednesday night, with 40s across the
remainder of the interior and for the Gulf coast. Wind chill values
are forecast to range from the upper 20s in Glades County, to the
upper 40s along the Atlantic coastal areas. Thursday`s low
temperatures are forecast to be around 5 warmer than Wednesday
morning.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

Spotter activation will not be needed.

For more information...visit the National Weather Service in Miami
website at www.weather.gov/miami.

$$

RAG

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by StPeteFLwx on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi all.  Interesting article about coastal flooding "hot spots".  One has been occurring along the mid-Atlantic states, another may be developing in Texas
Fl Climate Center article

StPeteFLwx

Posts : 197
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2017-03-17

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:34 am

StPeteFLwx wrote:Hi all.  Interesting article about coastal flooding "hot spots".  One has been occurring along the mid-Atlantic states, another may be developing in Texas
Fl Climate Center article
Hiya st pete,yes something is coming it seems..I read one scientific article awhile back, it said by 2050 on ..alot of coastline cities may be in trouble,for us, imagine normal sea levels have risen 3-5 feet...then..a tropical system comes in..whew..real hard to think about what would happen huh.

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:10 am

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Tampa Bay Area - Ruskin FL
358 AM EST Wed Jan 17 2018

...Freezing temperatures likely tonight through early Thursday...

.A strong cold front will move through the area, allowing an
Arctic airmass to invade the region. This will set the stage for
another freeze and very low wind chills tonight into Thursday.

FLZ052-056-057-061-148-149-151-251-255-260-172100-
/O.CON.KTBW.FZ.A.0007.180118T0400Z-180118T1400Z/
Polk-Hardee-Highlands-DeSoto-Coastal Hernando-Coastal Pasco-
Coastal Hillsborough-Inland Hillsborough-Inland Manatee-
Inland Sarasota-
Including the cities of Lakeland, Winter Haven, Wauchula,
Bowling Green, Zolfo Springs, Sebring, Avon Park, Placid Lakes,
Arcadia, Hernando Beach, Bayport, Port Richey, Hudson, Tampa,
Apollo Beach, Westchase, Brandon, Plant City, Sun City Center,
Parrish, Lakewood Ranch, Myakka City, and North Port
358 AM EST Wed Jan 17 2018

...FREEZE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH
THURSDAY MORNING...

* TEMPERATURE...28 to 32 degrees

* DURATION...5 to 8 hours

* IMPACTS...Unprotected plants may not survive.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Freeze Watch means sub-freezing temperatures are possible.
These conditions could kill crops and other sensitive vegetation.

&&

$$

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by LargoFL on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:13 am

folks a lot of hard freeze and freeze watches up..protect those things that could freeze..plants,pipes etc..NWS is saying very cold temps coming overnight..and also..strong winds too..protect those things that could blow around ok..heed..your Local warnings folks..I sure am..coldest temps coming since they say 2010

LargoFL

Posts : 7896
Reputation : 128
Join date : 2017-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: CLOSED 1-6 Florida/Alabama Blog - January Thaw!

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum