Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Hurricane Season 2020
NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER  EmptySat Aug 22, 2020 9:09 am by BillsfaninSoFla

» summer 2019 hurricane season
NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER  EmptySun Sep 01, 2019 9:56 am by StAugustineFL

» April-May Florida weather and local events etc
NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER  EmptyFri Aug 30, 2019 11:56 am by StPeteFLwx

» NASCAR 2019
NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER  EmptyWed May 22, 2019 4:37 pm by StAugustineFL

» Late January through February outlook
NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER  EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 3:43 pm by LargoFL

» FLORIDA/ALABAMA AND THE HOLIDAY SEASON WEATHER
NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER  EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 12:10 pm by LargoFL

» NASCAR 2018
NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER  EmptyWed Dec 05, 2018 6:34 pm by StAugustineFL

» CLOSED Florida/Alabama Blog - October Tropical Mischief
NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER  EmptyTue Nov 13, 2018 2:18 pm by LargoFL

Florida Blog
Southeast Radar Loop
Kamala Severe Warnings
Photobucket
Warnings
WPC 5 Day Precip
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

florida  chat  blog  

NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER

+2
sangria
emcf30
6 posters

Go down

NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER  Empty NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER

Post by emcf30 Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:57 am

Finally, an Outlook I love.

NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER  590x393_08131507_winter2012-13graph

Following a snow drought during winter 2011-2012, the mid-Atlantic and southern New England will get a snow dump this winter.

Above-normal snowfall is forecast for the major I-95 cities, including New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C., during winter 2012-2013. The I-95 cities could get hit pretty good. It's a matter of getting the cold to phase in with the huge systems that we are going to see coming out of the southern branch of the jet stream this year.

The cold is expected to phase with the big storms during January and February with the potential for large snowstorms to make headlines and create travel headaches in the major cities.

NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER  400x266_08131514_ap110121114752

On the other hand, the ski industry, which despite an early start for some resorts suffered a slow season overall last winter, will benefit from the above-normal snowfall.

Factors Behind the Above-Normal Snow Forecast

The presence of El Niño or La Niña - and their strength - is used to project how active the winter season is going to be. Long-Range meteorologists are continuing to project a weak to moderate El Niño by the fall. An El Niño pattern is classified by above-normal water temperatures in the central and equatorial Pacific Ocean. Warming the ocean water in turn warms the air above the Pacific, causing weather patterns to change globally.
El Niño winters feature a strong southern branch of the jet stream across the U.S. When the strong southern jet stream phases with the northern branch of the jet stream, big storms can impact the East.

NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER  400x266_08141534_400x266_08020003_weak-moderateelnino(n-am)

It should be noted that no two El Niños are the same. The strength of this phenomenon can mean a great deal for winter weather. Furthermore, there are other factors that influence snowfall amounts for the winter. Enough cold air must meet with big East Coast storms for snow to fall in the I-95 corridor. One of the biggest factors to allow this to happen is Blocking. Blocking is an area of high pressure that dominate eastern Canada or Greenland at times during the winter, forcing cold air to reach to U.S. When blocking occurs, storms tend to slow their eastward progression off the East coast. You also get moist flow off the Atlantic to help enhance snowfall rates. Blocking is something we definitely were lacking in during the 2011-2012 season.

So hopefully, we will see some snow in the Southeast this year. This will save me from eating crow with my kids as I told them just last week, we will go see snow for the Holidays this year because there will be snow due to the weather pattern setting up.

credit: accuweather
emcf30
emcf30

Back to top Go down

NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER  Empty Re: NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER

Post by sangria Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks for posting the winter outlook, e !! Guess I will go ahead and get a cord of firewood ordered.....I usually wait until fall......will save me a few bucks, and will let it "season" a bit.....as what is sold as "seasoned," is pretty much a joke here.......
sangria
sangria
Admin

Back to top Go down

NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER  Empty Re: NEW WINTER OUTLOOK ISSUED BY ACCUWEATHER

Post by gomexwx Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:47 am

An El Nino winter.....hmmm if it stays neutral will the Gulf coast see snow?..lol
gomexwx
gomexwx

Back to top Go down

Post by scouter534 Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:26 am

Yippee, cool and wet for Florida, maybe it will get cold enough to kill off the iguanas. lmao
scouter534
scouter534

Back to top Go down

Post by Tropic Bunker Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:10 pm

I can only hope that it happens!!!! Thanks for posting e!
Tropic Bunker
Tropic Bunker

Back to top Go down

Post by LargoFL Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:28 am

Well lets see what winter 2017/2018 has in store for Florida..hopefully no severe storms etc
LargoFL
LargoFL

Back to top Go down

Post by LargoFL Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:44 pm

I cannot imagine,what a 6-12 inch surprise snowfall would be like around here..i seriously doubt I would take my car out of the garage...just about every street would have an accident huh lol..not many snow tires here in Florida I imagine...but...sure would like nice for a day or two huh.
LargoFL
LargoFL

Back to top Go down

Post by LargoFL Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:27 am

so we enter Florida's dry season,it would be nice if this GW would give us more rainfall also..would That be the case? or just warmer temps?
LargoFL
LargoFL

Back to top Go down

Post by LargoFL Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:06 am

well Christmas 2017 is just days away and here in Florida temps are in the high 70's to 80 degree's,so far it doesn't look like it will be an exceptionally cold winter .. IF it continues like this
LargoFL
LargoFL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down